Practice Good Safety When Spear Fishing
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Spear Guns and other Scuba Diving topics.
What are safety tips for spear fishing?
Spear fishing is not dangerous as long as you follow basic safety procedures. Most are common sense but they are worth repeating to your dive party before making the descent:
- Keep the safety lock on your spear fishing gun until you are ready to shoot.
- Rely on a dive buddy to monitor your depth and time as you hunt.
- After you spear a fish, get it out of the water quickly, as not to attract larger predator fish.
- Always look beyond the fish you are about to spear to make sure there are no other divers in your range.
- Don't spear fish that are beyond your experience. It takes skill to land big fish that are fighters.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.