Choose a Mask That Fits Well and Doesn't Leak
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Dive Masks and other Scuba Diving topics.
What features should I look for in a mask?
What makes one scuba mask better than another? Divers want to see well in the water. But there are several features to consider:
- The dive mask should fit well. Press it against your face and breathe in through your nose. It should create a tight vacuum without squeezing your face.
- The mask should not leak. A small amount of water seeping into the diver's mask is normal. But you don't want a steady stream. It will spoil your dive.
- Your dive mask should provide a clear window underwater. Masks come in a variety of shapes and styles for the face plates. If you're a beginner try different ones out. You may even want to buy a less expensive one at first to see if you like the style and design.
- It should be easy to adjust the pressure on your scuba mask as you ascend and descend. You do this by exhaling through your nose. The smaller the airspace, the easier it is to adjust the pressure.
- It's always a good idea to try on masks at your local dive shop. If you want to get the best deal, you may want to see, touch and try on the masks at a local shop, then order the one you like online. You are likely to get a better deal.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.