Consider Different Snorkel Features
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Snorkeling and other Scuba Diving topics.
What features should I look for in a snorkel?
Snorkels no longer are simple "J"-shape devices. They come in a range of new designs. Here are some things to consider when shopping for snorkel gear:
- Snorkel length: The longer the snorkel, the less likely water will splash in. But shorter snorkels are easier to breathe through.
- Snorkel diameter: The wider the hole, the easier it is to draw in air. But a wider hole may allow more water in as well.
- Make sure your snorkel does not have unneeded turns or angles that will inhibit the air flow.
- Snorkels with flexible tubing tend to snag less on snorkel equipment.
- Sump and purge valves below the mouthpiece should keep water out of your mouth when you surface.
- Some snorkels have mouthpieces that swivel, while more expensive ones have removable mouthpieces similar to scuba gear.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.