Take Simple Precautions When You Snorkel
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Snorkeling and other Scuba Diving topics.
What should I expect from my dive buddy when we snorkel?
Your snorkeling buddy should be someone you trust. The buddy is there for companionship but also to back you up in an emergency. Take simple precautions when snorkeling, and you will be guaranteed a day of fun and adventure.
- Never go diving alone, no matter how shallow the water is or how confident you feel. If your buddy cancels at the list minute, you need to find something else to do.
- Make sure your snorkel buddy understands your goals for the day, whether it is leisurely swimming over reefs or snorkeling at a beach. Your buddy is more likely to stick with you, if he or she understands and shares the agenda.
- Check the weather conditions beforehand. You don't want to be swimming offshore or from a dive boat and be surprised by a sudden storm.
- It sounds obvious, but don't drink and dive. Snorkeling, swimming and diving require you to be alert and focused.
- Don't swim too far from the dive boat or too far offshore. Especially when you are snorkeling, it is easy to get distracted by the beauty below. Before you know it, you've drifted farther out than you planned. If you are swimming back to shore against the current, try swimming in a diagonal direction toward land.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.